There is currently considerable interest in telehealth addiction care. Allina Health began offering it in February 2019 to address geographic voids in greater Minnesota. We were thus well-positioned for virtual care when the Covid-19 pandemic occurred about a year later.
Here are some of my source documents
- Pandemic prevalence of mental health symptoms and substance use (CDC)
- Increase in overdoses (New York Times)
- Suicides and overdoses among the young (Robert Redfield, M.D. [CDC])
- Business cycle and suicide (Am J Public Health 2011;101:1139)
- Dangerous, counterfeit pills in Minnesota (DEA)
I appeared on WCCO Television this morning to discuss some new alcohol drinking limits. The context was a Lancet study that will likely be incorporated into the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s updated Dietary Guidelines
Consistent with the Lancet study and traditional binge drinking definitions, my current advice regarding consumption is:
- Men: Up to 7 drinks per week; no more than 4 drinks per occasion/sitting
- Women: Up to 7 drinks per week; no more than 3 drinks per occasion/sitting
Key caveat: These recommendations are for people without a history of addiction. Those with a history of addiction should abstain from alcohol.